Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND
COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE AND NATURAL RESOURCES
AGRICULTURAL EXPERIMENT STATION
POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT (Repost)
Title: Agricultural Technician Lead
Position Number: 116413
Category Status: Nonexempt, Regular
Applicant Search Category: Staff
Unit: AGNR-AES-CMREC-BARC (12000 Beaver Dam Road, Laurel, MD 20708)
Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
Will assist Manager in the day to day operations of the facility and will be responsible for maintenance of farm and specialized agricultural research equipment. Work with manager to coordinate activities for researchers and others performing research and extension activities at the facility. Carry out field work; tilling, planting, fertilizing, spraying, harvesting for traditional and nontraditional agricultural crops and research plots.
• High School Diploma or GED.
• Three years’ experience with agricultural research.
• Valid Maryland Noncommercial Class C or equivalent driver’s license.
• Maryland Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) required or obtained within six (6) months of employment.
• Maryland Public Agency Applicator’s Certification required or obtained within eighteen (18) months of employment.
• Additional related agricultural experience and formal education that has provided knowledge, skills and abilities required
for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
• General knowledge and understanding of basic agricultural procedures, conservation practices, entomological problems, research protocols and basic field plot design.
• Knowledge of nutrient management regulations
• Ability to handle small and large scale farm equipment; must possess some degree of mechanical and carpentry skills; must possess skills to calculate and calibrate sprayers, fertilizer spreaders, planters and harvesting equipment; and the skills to operate agricultural equipment and computerized yield measurement equipment and GPS.
• Must have knowledge of EPA regulations for biotech crops and the ability to interpret & follow requirements/restrictions on research plots.
• Must have good communications skills, both written and oral and be able to interact with staff, researchers, vendors, general public and others.
Physical Demands: Heavy lifting, extreme weather conditions, hazardous materials, working environment may have allergens (i.e. dust, mold, grasses, etc.). Must wear and work in personal protection clothing.
Salary and Benefits: Salary will commensurate with experience, with base salary of $43,404 per year.
Applications: All Interested persons must submit their application via our website: https://ejobs.umd.edu (Position 116413).
For specific information, please contact Kevin Conover, Facility Manager at 301-226-7448.
Closing Date: Applications accepted through November 24, 2023.
The University of Maryland, College Park, actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not
discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, physical or mental
disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, marital status, genetic information, or political affiliation, or gender identity
and expression. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.