Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND
COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE AND NATURAL RESOURCES
Title: Contract Administrator (Pre-Award Specialist)
Position Number: 120276 & 120579
Category Status: Exempt, Regular, Staff, Full-time
Unit: AGNR-Administrative Services
Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
The Pre-Award Specialists (PAS) will provide support to AGNR faculty members for pre-award sponsored projects and other restricted proposal submissions as required. The PAS will collaborate with faculty members with preparation of proposals and oversee the final submission to the sponsor. In partnership with the AGNR Assistant Director of Pre-Award Services, the PAS will coordinate and serve as liaison with AGNR Research Office, Office of Research Administration (ORA), departmental support staff, department Chairs, agency representatives, and PI’s to respond to pre-award related issues and questions during the proposal preparation and submission process. As a member of a multi-person team, each PAS will have primary responsibility for sponsored projects generated from specific departments and/or University of Maryland Extension programs within AGNR and will report to the Assistant Director of Pre-Award Services within the Dean’s Office.
• Provide support to faculty in preparation of applications or renewals of grants and contracts and/or other agreements/materials requiring routing through ORA. Secure sponsor’s RFP and determine all required components of the proposal, including formatting and sequencing. Provide assistance with budget development and assistance in formation of budget justifications.
• Assist/advise faculty with formatting of all grant documents in accord with sponsor specifications. Compile all documents, including those of any sub awardees requested by sponsor and ORA, and then initiate and monitor the routing of submitted proposals through the University’s electronic proposal management system (Kuali Research). Proofread and review forms and attachments for completeness and format.
• Assist with/develop budgets from beginning to end based on faculty input and departmental standards, including, when necessary, comparing and selection of alternative funding models. Load approved budgets into sponsor forms/formats, and Kuali Research. When applicable, prepare all materials in sponsor’s online systems.
• Interface with sub award institutions to facilitate delivery of required documentation. Follow up with faculty and sub institutions until documents are received, approved, correctly formatted, and properly incorporated into the proposal.
• Organize and manage proposal files. Maintain files of supporting documents from previous proposals such as conflict of interest, export control, animal care, human subjects, and bio sketches from individual PIs for use in subsequent proposal preparation. Maintain files of submitted proposals.
Bachelor’s degree required preferably in Business Administration, Accounting, or related field.
Master’s degree preferred.
Two to four years’ experience in grants management or relevant work experience is required.
Experience with preparing and managing budgets.
Proficiency with standard office and business software applications.
Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing. Possess interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy.
Ability to work independently on assignments with minimal supervision.
Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters with discretion and diplomacy.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge of budgeting and preparation of grant proposals. Experience with analyzing, evaluating, and recommending solutions on grant-related matters. Working knowledge of federal regulations regarding fiscal management of federal funds such as 2 CFR 200 Uniform Guidance and Federal Acquisition Regulations. Experience with electronic research systems such as Grants.gov/Workspace, NSF Fastlane/Research.gov, NIH Commons/ASSIST, etc.
Adept with Microsoft Excel.
Additional Information: Typical office environment, occasional moving of boxes, computers, and peripherals may be required.
Salary and Benefits: Salary will be commensurate with experience: The University of Maryland offers an extensive benefits package. For more information regarding employee benefits visit: https://uhr.umd.edu/benefits/
Applications: All interested persons must apply on-line at https://ejobs.umd.edu to Position #120276 or 120579.
Closing Date: Open until Filled.
Background Checks: Offers of employment are contingent on completion of a background check. A prior criminal conviction or convictions will not automatically disqualify a finalist from employment in the position.
Telework Opportunity: This is a full-time position located on the College Park campus of the University of Maryland. Telework is offered in the AGNR as determined by AGNR and University policy. Compliance with the UMD Telework Agreement is required.
The University of Maryland, College Park, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, creed, marital status, political affiliation, personal appearance, or on the basis of rights secured by the First Amendment, in all aspects of employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.