Working Title: Senior Communications Specialist
Appointment: Full-time, M&C Pro 3-Comm Gen (9703CG),
Extension Area: Extension Communications and Public Relations
Salary Range: $62,000 – $70,000 estimated salary range; depending on qualifications
Location: St Paul campus; Hybrid work options are available
Application Deadline: July 26, 2023
ABOUT THE POSITION
University of Minnesota Extension is hiring a Senior Communications Specialist to join our team of creative and collaborative writers, editors, and designers. In this newly created role, you will:
- Develop new content for print and digital channels that highlights Extension’s educational programming in diverse communities across the state.
- Plan and collaborate with colleagues to ensure that Extension content is being strategically and effectively shared with relevant audiences and stakeholders.
- Help lead the implementation of Extension’s strategic communications plan, including developing and executing communications training for non-communicators.
The ideal candidate is passionate about high-quality communications and public relations content, helping colleagues strengthen their communications skills, and can work collaboratively with Extension educators and administrators to create engaging communications that support educational programs and strategic administrative initiatives. They will partner with other communicators in Extension as well as with internal faculty and administrative clients to provide excellent customer service and effective results.
Content Development and Communications Planning (55%):
- Collaborate with administrative and educational colleagues from across Extension to develop and execute communications campaigns that help the organization achieve its strategic objectives, including expanding community partnerships and attracting and retaining a more diverse workforce. These campaigns can include both internally and externally focused stories, videos, web content and social media content and will involve hands-on content creation.
- Brainstorm, write, edit and produce high-quality print and digital content for strategic communications campaigns, in collaboration with communications colleagues. This can include print materials, web content, video, social media and other emerging channels.
- Help lead the implementation of Extension’s strategic communications plan and the alignment of communications across Extension departments.
Project Management (35%):
- Serve as initial contact and point person for large communications requests and projects and collaborate with colleagues to ensure projects are on track for timely completion; back up colleagues when help is needed in writing, editing, design or technical troubleshooting.
- Develop and maintain a system for tracking Extension communications and marketing creative assets and large projects.
- Triage and assign support-staff communications requests and ensure the finished products meet Extension’s brand, accessibility and quality standards.
Other communications and marketing duties as assigned (10%)
- BA or BS in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Public Relations, Business or a related field
- At least four (4) years of experience creating strong, action-oriented content, using research, interviewing and storytelling skills, including demonstrated ability to take an idea from concept to a published product (print, video, broadcast, etc.).
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Exceptional proofreading, editing and rewriting abilities.
- Project management experience.
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing diversity, equity, inclusivity, and accessibility.
- Experience leading a professional communications project or team.
- Experience using Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, and Google Suite.
- Travel (in-state and beyond) may be necessary to perform the responsibilities of this position. This person is expected to have a valid driver’s license and their own means of transportation with required liability insurance. Mileage and sustenance reimbursement provided according to University policies.
- Must have reliable internet if/when working outside of assigned office location.
- When not in the assigned office location, employees must be reachable with a mobile number at the employee’s own expense. That number will be published in the Extension staff directory.
- Ability to work on a computer for prolonged periods of time.
- This position is not eligible for employment visa sponsorship.
- Master’s degree in strategic communications, journalism, marketing or a related field
- Work experience in a higher education, government agency, or public sectors
- Ability to create, understand, and monitor success through analytics.
- Familiarity with Asana, Trello, or other project management platforms.
- This is a 100%, annually renewable Professional & Administrative position. The position will be located on the St. Paul campus.
- University of Minnesota appointment and benefits. Benefits package available here: https://hr.umn.edu/Jobs/Applicant-Center/About-Working-U/Benefits-Summaries-Prospective-Employees
- Reimbursement for travel and subsistence is available in accordance with University policy.
- Estimated starting salary range is $62,000-70,000 annually. Salary commensurate with education and experience.
University of Minnesota Extension is a major outreach arm of the University of Minnesota with a mission to serve the public through applied research and education. Our mission is to make a difference by connecting community needs and University resources to address critical issues in Minnesota. Extension strives to attract and retain high-quality, passionate employees, and weave diversity, equity and inclusion into all aspects of Extension’s programming and employee engagement. Find further information at www.extension.umn.edu.