Senior Business Support Specialist
Whitten Hall, Columbia MO
The University of Missouri (MU) Office of Extension and Engagement’s distinct land-grant mission is to improve lives, communities, and economies by producing relevant, reliable, and responsive educational strategies throughout Missouri. Our dedicated and knowledgeable faculty and staff collaborate with researchers and community leaders to develop and deliver programs that address the needs of Missourians including: educational attainment; environmental concerns; community, economic, business and workforce development; global food systems; and health systems. For more information about MU Extension and Engagement, please visit https://extension.missouri.edu
This position is responsible for supporting fiscal team functions for the division, providing a variety of independent, specialized business support duties for assigned units and as needed for the team. This position will focus on assigned unit’s grants and be conversant of assigned unit’s non-grant accounts. Flexible work arrangements with some remote work may be allowed after a period of in-person training.
- Serve as division financial support, including responsibility for data entry, maintenance, reconciliation, approvals and review of detailed budgets and actuals. Prepare fiscal management reports including monthly managerial review, ad hoc reports, and divisional or departmental reports to analyze current and future business decisions. Review and provide recommendations. As opportunities arise, solves routine and complex problems, and identifies new, less obvious solutions.
- Support units in PeopleSoft, Hyperion, Extension procedures and related policies for various processes including travel & expense reports, vouchers, requisitions, eProcurement, purchase orders, One Card, and journal entries. This includes providing information and interpretation to departments regarding appropriateness of expenditures, financial coding, extension requirements, and changes in policies and procedures. Provide training as needed, utilizing University training initially when available.
- Supports fiscal team through planning, organization, coordination, and occasional oversight impacting the quality, timeliness, and effectiveness of the team. Focus on assigned unit’s grants and be conversant of assigned unit’s non-grant accounts. Through team approach, uses discretion to modify work practices and processes to achieve results or improve efficiency.
- As needed, coordinates with MU Extension Pre-Award in the review and submission of grant proposals.
- Represent the department at meetings and committees involving areas of responsibilities.
- Conduct all activities in accordance with the Civil Rights Acts, Title IX, Rehabilitation, Americans with Disabilities Act and local, state and region affirmative action plans.
LEADERSHIP RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
- As with all positions, involvement with other duties and responsibilities may be expected to support the mission and purpose of MU Extension.
This position reports to the Finance and Accounting Manager and will receive additional support from faculty and staff in the MU Extension. Positions Independently completes assignments of varying degrees of complexity. May serve as an informal resource for less experienced team members.
CORE ATTRIBUTES FOR MU EXTENSION FACULTY AND STAFF
Exhibit a high personal standard of excellence, be an effective team player, and demonstrate inclusivity, civility and respect for all.
Engage stakeholders and learners; maintain positive interpersonal relationships; and exhibit effective written and oral communication skills.
Operate with minimal guidance and be a self-directed learner who is flexible and adaptable to changing environments.
The University of Missouri, also known as Mizzou and MU, is the Flagship University of the four-campus University of Missouri system. It is the state’s land-grant university and one of the most comprehensive universities in the United States. MU’s broad undergraduate programs and its’ graduate, professional and research programs attract annual enrollment of more than 30,000 students. MU is centrally located in Columbia, MO, which is consistently ranked as one of America’s most livable cities. MU Extension and Engagement programs are located on all four campuses and in 114 counties and St. Louis city.