Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Veterinary Assistant - Central Preparation (Veterinary Health Center)
Department: 3670080070 Veterinary Health Center
Job no: 510694
Employment type: Staff Full Time (Unclassified - Term)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Veterinary Medicine, Medical
Pay Grade: 05A
About this Role:
This Veterinary Assistant position is responsible for ensuring surgical instruments are properly cleaned and repacked. These items are then to be sterilized and returned to surgery sections in a sterile condition. Additional responsibilities include ensuring surgical supplies and commodities are maintained in adequate quantities for use, and surgical linens are properly washed. This position will work a varying shift between 7 am-7 pm.
Why Join Us:
Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off - vacation, sick, and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits/overview/
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and promotes inclusion. The University actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the https://www.k-state.edu/about/community.html.
Duties / Responsibilities:
• Assist with ancillary support services within the VHC, to include, but not be limited to the following:
• Preparing surgical instruments and linen packs for decontamination as they return from surgery. Load contaminated instruments into sonic cleaner or instrument washer. Visually inspect all instruments for traces of contamination when cycles are complete (i.e. remaining blood or tissue fragments). Place instruments in appropriate racks/trays as defined in the assembly manual, (i.e. spay pack, orthopedic pack, arthroscopic pack, etc.). Transport instruments to clean room.
• Prepare surgical instruments and packs for sterilization. Inspect instruments for sharpness or damage. Remove and report instruments in need of repair. Ensure packs/trays are properly assembled, and packaged/wrapped as defined in the assembly manual. Wrap specifically so items are to surgeon's specifications, and all instruments and supplies are oriented so the pack may be opened maintaining a sterile field around its outer perimeter.
• Sterilization of surgical packs and supplies. Properly load, wrap, tape, and identify (contents and date sterilized.) instrument packs in the correct sterilizer appropriate for the type of pack being sterilized, and set the machine to the appropriate cycle settings. Complete sterilization load logs. Upon completion of cycles, remove packs, interpret control monitors (i.e. cycle printouts, autoclave tape color changes, biologicals, etc.) to determine if sterilizers functioned properly and each pack has been appropriately processed.
• Prepare gauze/sponges, towels, needle packs, and other medical supplies so each contains a specified number of items, with each is oriented and labeled according to the assembly manual.
• Launder and fold surgical linens, towels and uniforms. Packing, wrapping, and sterilization of surgical gowns, following approved sterile techniques.
• Maintain a clean and orderly work area by participating in daily cleaning tasks. - Routine maintenance and cleaning of all machines and equipment within the Central Preparation (CP) department. - Routine cleaning of counters and shelving containing sterile packs and other commodities.
• Assist in training of new employees in specific techniques associated with performing sterile pack preparation procedures and other duties within the department.
• Organization and set up of surgery carts and other specialty carts.
• Assist in maintaining and monitoring equipment, materials, supplies and other commodities utilized daily in support of client, teaching and research procedures at the Veterinary Health Center in accordance with established protocols and procedures. Assuring that all items have been serviced according to the preventive maintenance protocol, are functional, clean and available for future procedures. This includes returning partially used commodities into service or initiating proper disposal of them in order to maintain an adequate inventory of supplies and materials. - Provide requests to supervisor (or other purchasing personnel in supervisor's absence) for reordering of commodities.
• Perform daily tasks to ensure the Self-Help Laboratory is operational. These tasks include: cleaning, stocking, troubleshooting and maintaining equipment, reporting equipment in need of repair to supervisor (or SSD or other procurement officer in supervisor's absence). Quarterly duties in self-help include: maintaining MSDS book, appropriate signage, and evaluating the need for par levels adjustments.
• Participate in after-hours emergency on call rotation to include weekends and holidays.
• Provide assistance to Veterinary Nurses in both small animal and large animal surgical nurses stations and operating rooms to include but not limited to the following: - Assist in breakdown of tables and instrument preparation for transport to CP department.
• Perform other duties as requested by Central Prep Nursing Supervisor, Director of Surgical Support Services, Health Care Technician II, or Veterinary Health Center Administrator or Director by following procedures developed for the KSU-VHC.
• Be an effective and dependable employee by beginning each day with a clean, neat uniform, establish and maintain good work habits, maintain a positive, professional relationship with faculty, staff, students and clients demonstrating behavior that is conducive to harmonious working relationships.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
• High School Diploma
• One year of relevant experience
• Minimum of one year experience in sterile processing and/or operating room
• Hospital experience in sterilizer operation, biomedical equipment operation and maintenance, supply and/or pharmaceutical stocking and distribution, or similar responsibilities
• CRCST and other associated Certifications
Position frequently involves light work, including walking and standing while retrieving and dispensing supplies. Occasional periods of medium work are required while assisting with freight deliveries and/or stocking from large packing boxes of supplies. Ability to transport an average sized box - approximately 50 pounds, requiring considerable physical exertion. Work is generally performed by walking, sitting, standing, lifting, carrying, fingering, pushing and pulling to perform various task associated with this work area. Hearing is necessary to send and receive phone orders and sight is necessary to read supply request forms, autoclave quality control charts, and to locate correct supply items from inventory.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please submit cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references
Screening of Applications Begins:
Screening of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Salary Range / Pay Rate:
$ 12.46 - $ 18.31 per hour
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Dec 02, 2021
Application Closes: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2725361