Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Veterinary Assistant - Ophthalmology (Veterinary Health Center)
Department: 3670080070 Veterinary Health Center
Job no: 510627
Employment type: Staff Full Time (Unclassified - Term)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Veterinary Medicine, Medical
Pay Grade: 04A
About this Role:
The Veterinary Health Center (VHC) within the College of Veterinary Medicine is seeking applicants for a Veterinary Assistant. This position exists to assist with providing quality assistance for client/teaching/research animals in the VHC. This is a position primarily assigned to provide assistance with the Ophthalmology Service on a daily basis, whether it is to enhance help for a busy receiving or surgery schedule, assist with teaching, or to help with a research project. Assignment will be made by the supervisor.
Normal work hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. On occasion the workweek may be changed to accommodate varying schedules, or emergency cases. Any variance should be approved and mutually agreed with Supervisor prior to the beginning of that workweek.
Why Join Us:
Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off - vacation, sick, and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits/overview/
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity, and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university actively seeks candidates whose commitments and contributions will advance the University's commitment to the https://www.k-state.edu/about/community.html
Duties / Responsibilities:
Ophthalmology Veterinary Assistant Responsibilities:
• Organization and maintenance of the ophthalmology exam rooms and conference room.
• Provide assistant support to the ophthalmology clinicians, including house officers, staff, and senior veterinary students assigned to the ophthalmology rotation.
• Typical responsibilities-
• organize and stock exam rooms with necessary materials and equipment to facilitate efficiency in patient receiving, testing, and treatments.
• assist clinicians, including house officers, and RVTs in basic aspects of patient care, including ophthalmic medication administration, sample and request submissions, and patient hygiene.
• assure daily data entry and billing are kept up to date within the hospital management system, following the established KSU-VHC format. Provide prompt client service by handling calls for new appointments, rechecks, prescription refills, and scheduling surgeries. Assist with the planning and coordination of ophthalmology services throughout the KSU-VHC.
Ophthalmology Veterinary Assistant Operating Room Responsibilities:
• Prepare and maintain surgical suite to consistently provide a sterile environment and adequate supplies.
• Assist as a surgical team member by preparing animals for surgical procedures.
• Assist surgical team members by acting as a circulator during procedures and maintaining sterile technique in surgery areas.
• Become familiar with surgical instrumentation and procedures.
• Assure instruments are cleaned and returned to Central Preparation in a timely manner.
• Assist in maintaining the ophthalmology surgery log.
• Be an effective and dependable employee by beginning each day with a clean, neat uniform, establish and maintain good work habits, maintain a positive professional relationship with faculty, house officers, staff, and students.
• Perform other duties as requested by supervisor or Hospital Director by following procedures developed for the KSU-VHC.
• Work is reviewed daily, on a case by case basis, by senior clinical faculty or regular technical supervisor. Work is also periodically reviewed by supervisor for results achieved.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
• High School Diploma
• One year experience with animal handling and restraint
• Must possess a driver's license once employed
• Veterinary Assistant Certification
• College study with course work in animal science or closely related field is desirable
• Ability to handle, restrain, and provide assistance for medical services to senior veterinary students, clinicians, including house officers, and Registered Veterinary Technicians to examine, diagnose, and treat domestic animals to include cats, dogs, horses, and other livestock
• Ability to maintain and use ordinary veterinary medical hospital equipment
• Ability to perform word processing and data entry procedures on a personal computer
• Ability to maintain satisfactory working relationships with other employees, professional personnel, and the public
• Ability to write and interpret written direction
• Ability to communicate orally with professional and subordinate personnel
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please submit cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references
Screening of Applications Begins:
Screening of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Salary Range / Pay Rate:
$ 12.22 - $ 18.31 per hour
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Apr 30, 2021
Application Closes: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2242808