Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Veterinary Nurse - Small Animal Medicine (Veterinary Health Center)
Department: 3670080070 Veterinary Health Center
Job no: 511102
Employment type: Staff Full Time (USS)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Veterinary Medicine, Medical
Pay Grade: 04A
About this Role:
The Veterinary Health Center (VHC) within the College of Veterinary Medicine is seeking applicants for a Veterinary Nurse. This nurse will be responsible for providing technical services and minor instructional skills as necessary to the Small Animal Medicine Section in the Veterinary Health Center. A primary mission of the Hospital is to provide quality medical services for teaching, research, and clients with the surrounding area. A team of quality, professional nurses in the Small Animal Medicine Section is critical to providing services to support this mission. Nurses will also be responsible for coordination of use, care, and maintenance of the endoscopy equipment utilized by all small animal clinical faculty, and will serve as back-up coordinator for large animal endoscopy equipment.
Why Join Us:
Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off - vacation, sick, and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits/overview/
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and promotes inclusion. The University actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the https://www.k-state.edu/about/community.html.
Duties / Responsibilities:
Clinical facilitator - Small Animal Inpatient Services: This position will be part of the nursing team on the internal medicine service. Duties will include all aspects of patient care including: patient restraint, treatment administration, phlebotomy, catheter placement, record keeping, and maintenance of specialty instruments. The nurse will teach and assist students basic nursing skills. In addition, the nurse will assist the clinicians with all technical aspects of treatment wards, metabolic studies areas, and special study areas of the Small Animal Medicine Section. Initiative and oversight will be needed to ensure that medical supplies and medications are properly housed and stocked in the work area. Typical responsibilities may include:
• Plan daily schedule based on inpatient census. Check with duty clinicians for rescheduled or non-scheduled activities. Assist the front desk staff in scheduling emergency and urgent care patients.
• Organize students, necessary materials and equipment to facilitate the flow of inpatients throughout the day.
• Supervise case treatments. Assist students in obtaining blood, urine, and fecal samples for diagnostic testing. Assist students in handling and restraint to ensure safety and proper patient care.
• Assist faculty and students in compiling medical records. Assure daily data entry and billing is kept up to date within the VetStar computerized hospital management system, following the established KSU-VHC format.
• Continuously monitor patient care and status. This would includes feeding schedules, cage and run maintenance, feed and watering protocols, and animal appearance.
• Participate in teaching demonstrations as directed by Small Animal Medicine supervisor or clinical faculty. Take an active role in the supervision and training of fourth year veterinary students in current technical aspects of Small Animal Medicine to include such areas as injection techniques, indwelling catheter maintenance, clipper care, and maintenance of fluid therapy patients, proper restraint techniques and safety protocol. Participation in orientation for new student rotations.
Research Assistant - The nurse will assist with clinical research projects by coordinating patient visits, supervising treatment protocols, and collecting the needed data.
Additional duties as assigned by Section Head, Department Head or Hospital Administrator. Performance will be reviewed by Small Animal Medicine Section Head, attending clinician, and Hospital Administrator.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
Must be registered as a paraprofessional under the authority of the Kansas Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners upon appointment.
• For a Veterinary Nurse I: Completion of a two year college program in veterinary and animal technology accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association
• For a Veterinary Nurse II: Completion of a two year college program in veterinary and animal technology accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association and two years of relevant experience
• For a Veterinary Nurse III: Completion of a two year college program in veterinary and animal technology accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association and five years of relevant experience as a state credentialed veterinary technician (RVT, LVT, CVT)
• Physically able to handle, restrain, and provide medical services to domestic animals
• Ability to maintain and use standard and specialize, veterinary medical, hospital equipment
• Knowledge of standard emergency veterinary medical procedures
• Ability to perform word processing and data entry procedures on a computer
• Ability to perform endoscopic procedures, clean, and properly maintain endoscopy equipment
• Post-graduate experience in a veterinary hospital setting
• Experience working in designated specialty as determined by the agency
• Clinical teaching and/or supervisory experience will be considered a beneficial asset to this position
• Excellent communication skills and strong interpersonal skills
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please submit cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references
Screening of Applications Begins:
Screening of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Salary Range / Pay Rate:
$ 12.46 - $ 23.11 per hour
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Jul 16, 2021
Application Closes: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2376264