Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Veterinary Nurse II or III - Triage (Veterinary Health Center)
Department: 3670080070 Veterinary Health Center
Job no: 511427
Employment type: Staff Full Time (USS)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Veterinary Medicine, Medical
Pay Grade: 07A
About this Role:
The Veterinary Health Center (VHC) within the College of Veterinary Medicine is seeking a Triage Veterinary Nurse II or III. This position will provide centralized contact with all veterinarians who interact with the Kansas State University Veterinary Health Center by triaging cases as they come in and determining the appropriate service for consultation.
Why Join Us:
Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off - vacation, sick, and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits/overview/
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and promotes inclusion. The University actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the https://www.k-state.edu/about/community.html.
Duties / Responsibilities:
• Triage medical situations to determine the level of priority that should be given to coordinate patient care. Understanding of medical terminology and accurately documenting the medical histories provided by referring veterinarian to provide an accurate summary to the consulting clinician. Relay communication between the referring and consulting veterinarian; providing accurate documentation to facilitate continuity of patient care. Understanding of medical record and accurately documenting within the VHC medical record system.
• Direct all activities relating to referring and consulting veterinarians. Act as initial contact by receiving calls from referring veterinarians for cases they would like to send to the VHC, determine the appropriate service for consultation, provide cost estimates and follow-up with clinicians to ensure the communication has been made. Provide information to referring veterinarians regarding policies & procedures. Review of hospital communications will be necessary in order to recommend and coordinate improvements needed. Manage hospital referral email. Facilitate special case scenarios to ensure that all applicable services are contacted and information retrieved and then forwarded to the referring veterinarian. Determine proper hospital staff to address questions of a complex technical or sensitive nature.
• Receive and coordinate faxed or emailed referral information ie, patient medical record, text information, x-rays. Making sure the information is transferred or transmitted to the appropriate clinician/service for continuity of patient care. Contact referring clinics to request additional information when necessary. Prepare charts for incoming referrals to provide continuity of care between Referring DVM & VHC.
• Contact veterinarians who refer patient to the Veterinary Health Center on the day the patient arrives. Insure that all veterinarians who have referred a patient to the Veterinary health Center are contacted with a case summary within 48 hours of the patient discharge.
• Contact outstanding referrals and facilitate appointment & record coordination.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
• Must be registered as a paraprofessional under the authority of the Kansas Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners within six months of employment.
• For a Veterinary Nurse II: Completion of a two year college program in veterinary and animal technology accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association and two years of relevant experience.
• For a Veterinary Nurse III: Completion of a two year college program in veterinary and animal technology accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association and five years of relevant experience as a state credentialed veterinary technician (RVT, LVT, CVT).
• Ability to multi-task in a high stress environment at an advanced level
• Advanced knowledge of veterinary terminology, advanced medical procedures and a clear understanding of veterinary emergencies
• Ability to make sound decisions in a stressful situation
• Ability to prioritize and recognize the most effective & efficient process to accomplish the daily work flow
• Adaptable to different computer systems/advanced computer skills
• Ability to answer multiple phone lines
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please submit cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references
Screening of Applications Begins:
Screening of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Salary Range / Pay Rate:
$ 17.00 - $ 29.64 per hour
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Sep 17, 2021
Application Closes: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2506644