Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
Veterinary Nurse Intern (Veterinary Health Center)
Department: 3670080070 Veterinary Health Center
Job no: 511657
Employment type: Staff Full Time (USS)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Veterinary Medicine, Medical
Pay Grade: 06A
About this Role:
The Veterinary Health Center within the College of Veterinary Medicine is seeking applicants for a Veterinary Nurse Intern. This Veterinary Nurse I (Limited Term) Intern position provides an opportunity for professional growth in the Kansas State University Veterinary Health Center. An outstanding graduate veterinary nurse will be selected to obtain high quality, enhanced technical experience and training through employment in defined specialty areas. Objective of this position is to enhance employee marketability for private practice and/or assist with obtaining two years of post-graduate experience to qualify for future Veterinary Nurse II openings in the KSU-VHC.
The Veterinary Nurse Intern position frequently involves light work. it is occasionally necessary to perform medium or heavy work associated with lifting, carrying, pushing, or pulling animals and/or equipment. Walking, sitting, standing, lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling and fingering are necessary to perform tasks associated with this work area. Must be able to monitor heart sounds (hearing) through a stethoscope, visually interpret physiological data on a computer screen (seeing) insert catheters, syringe needles, etc. (fingering) as needed, and express instructions quickly (talking) in emergency situations.
Why Join Us:
Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off - vacation, sick, and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits/overview/
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and promotes inclusion. The University actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the https://www.k-state.edu/about/community.html.
Duties / Responsibilities:
• This Limited Term Veterinary Nurse I Intern position is established to provide training and experience to a graduate veterinary nurse by furnishing a work environment where the individual provides technical support for specialty areas in the KSU-VHC. Duties may include providing hands-on assistance in several specialty areas, such as anesthesiology, cardiology, dentistry, exotics, equine medicine, farm animal medicine, large animal surgery, ophthalmology, oncology, radiology, small animal ICU, small animal medicine or small animal surgery, as defined by the specialty area assignments for the internship period. 4th year veterinary students are given preference in performing technical skills. The nurse is expected to assist in regular, scheduled procedures required in the assigned section, to include assisting clinicians and students in handling and restraint of patients, preparing rooms and necessary equipment for procedures, assisting with patient preparation, maintenance and cleaning of rooms and equipment and stock rotation.
• Perform other duties in the KSU-VHC as requested by supervisor, section head, Hospital Administrator, or Hospital Director by following procedures and protocol developed for the KSU-VHC. Performance will be reviewed by technical supervisor, Hospital Administrator and Hospital Director for results achieved. Examples of additional responsibilities may include:
• Perform minor maintenance and cleaning procedures on instrumentation and equipment.
• Become proficient with the Hospital Information System so that medical information may be easily entered from terminals in work areas.
• Be available to provide periodic stand-by coverage during some daytime, holiday and/or weekend periods. Demonstrate behavior that is conducive to harmonious working relationships with peers, students, faculty and supervisors. Establish and maintain good work habits.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
• Completion of a two year college program in animal or veterinary technology accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association
• Must be a registered paraprofessional under the authority of the Kansas Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners within six months of employment.
• One year of experience in animal or veterinary technical support
• Ability to maintain and use ordinary veterinary medical hospital equipment
• Physically able to handle, restrain and provide medical services to domestic animals
• Working knowledge of operating room sterile technique procedures
• Knowledge of standard emergency veterinary medical procedures
• Ability to perform word processing and data entry on a personal computer
• Demonstrated interest in a specific clinical discipline
• Excellent communication skills and strong interpersonal skills
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please submit cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references
Screening of Applications Begins:
Screening of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Salary Range / Pay Rate:
$ 15.42 - $ 17.00 per hour
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Oct 26, 2021
Application Closes: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2725381