Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
VISITING EXTENSION OUTREACH ASSOCIATE, 4-H COMPUTER SCIENCE INNOVATION – 111546
University of Illinois Extension
College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences (ACES)
The Visiting Extension Outreach Associate, 4-H Computer Science Innovation serves as a full time, 12 month academic professional directly reporting to the Extension Specialist, 4-H Youth Development (STEM). The candidate will work closely with the 4-H STEM Specialist to ensure Computer Science (CS) program standards are met both in the state (85%) and nationally (15%).
The 4-H CS Innovation Outreach Associate’s primary responsibilities are to aid in resource development and capacity building for IL 4-H CS programming, build IL 4-H CS programming, and contribute to the majority of the statewide programs under IL STEM and Computer Science.
The 4-H CS Innovation Outreach Associate will be expected to learn core elements of IL 4-H STEM programming, to develop innovative IL 4-H CS curriculum to deliver to 4-H staff and volunteers statewide, and conduct staff professional development training. The candidate will aid in the production of digital and online content ranging from CS instructional videos to live drone demonstrations and aid in the evaluation of STEM/CS programs statewide.
One full time position is available.
Location: State 4-H Office (Champaign, IL)
(Position will be housed at 801 N County Fair Drive, Champaign, IL)
Additional positions may become available in other locations
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University’s commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
This is a security-sensitive position. Comprehensive background checks, including but not limited to a criminal conviction information check, a CANTS check, and a review of the Registered Sex Offender list, will be conducted.
Specific responsibilities of the Visiting Extension Outreach Associate, 4-H Computer Science Innovation are as follows:
IL 4-H CS/STEM Program Development
· Working closely with the STEM Specialist, the Computer Science (CS) Innovator will Support the CS efforts of the 4-H STEM Specialist and aid in the development of a three year Computer Science/ STEM implementation plan. In addition, the CS Innovator will aid in the development of curricula, programs, and materials to support the implementation plan.
Teaching/Professional Development Delivery
· Provide statewide CS professional development training for staff and volunteers in areas such as block based/text based coding, robotics, drone education, 3-D printing/design, Makey-Makeys, and virtual reality. Provide instruction for youth in each of these areas at various events on a limited scale.
· Use 4-H Common Measures survey to measure and report impact of participating CS youth. Aid in the development, evaluation, and production of evaluation tools and scholarly work related to STEM Education and Positive Youth Development (PYD)
National 4-H CS Program Development
· Collaborate with National 4-H to advance the national 4-H CS strategy and program replication through development and distribution of best practices. Attend a pre-or post-conference workshop at the 2020 NAE4-HA Conference in Idaho. Attend Annual CS Innovator Council Events through National 4-H Council.
· Work with regional, state and national CS partners as needed. Identify key partners/potential stakeholders in metro and rural areas.
· Work with Metro Educators to develop location based strategies to help address the shortage of diverse youth, volunteers, and leaders. Work closely with the incoming Diversity Specialist to develop evidence based strategies to engage these youth.
· Perform other duties that contribute to the mission of Illinois 4-H and University of Illinois Extension programming, as assigned.
· Comply with all University of Illinois Extension Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity policies and guidelines in all aspects of Extension work; assist unit staff with data collection for Affirmative Action, Gender, and Targeted reports as needed.
· To perform the functions of this position, the employee will be required to perform work both within an office and outside in the communities that are served, and must have the capability to travel from one location to the other in a timely fashion. Employee is responsible for securing personal transportation. A valid driver’s license is preferred. Some work will be required during evenings and/or weekends. When working, the employee may be exposed to a variety of environmental factors to include, but not limited to, hot or cold weather, exposure to noise and allergens, and uneven ground. In performing the functions of this position, the employee may be subjected to various mental and physical demands as well to include, but not limited to, independently traveling to and performing work at different locations, lifting and moving items that may occasionally weigh up to forty (40) pounds and frequently weigh up to twenty (20) pounds, and twisting, pushing and pulling movements. More detailed information regarding the functions of this position (including the physical, mental and environmental requirements of the position) may be obtained from Human Resources for the College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences (ACES) by contacting email@example.com.
Administrative AND PROGRAMMATIC Relationship
The Visiting Extension Outreach Associate, 4-H Computer Science Innovation is administratively and programmatically responsible to the Extension Specialist, 4-H Youth Development (STEM).
· Required: Bachelor’s Degree in STEM related field or Bachelor's degree and 5+ years’ experience in STEM education. Experience working with youth and adults in an instructional capacity. Experience working with diverse audiences/youth.
· Preferred: Master’s Degree in STEM related field. Maker or rapid prototyping experience (3D Printing/Design, CAD, Laser cutting, etc.). Mastery Level Computer Coding skills with expert knowledge in at least one language (Java, Python, C+, etc). Curriculum development experience. Video/multimedia production/editing experience.
· Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Proficient computer science knowledge and skills (block based coding, text based coding, etc.). Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Self-directed and able to work without supervision. Able to work and train adults and volunteers of all abilities. Energetic and eager to tackle new projects and ideas. Ability to work some nights and/or weekends
The position is a temporary, full-time, benefits-eligible, non-tenured academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. This position may become non-visiting at a later time dependent upon funding and/or programmatic needs. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Generous vacation and sick leave. State Universities Retirement System. Group health, dental, vision and life insurance.
To apply, go to https://go.illinois.edu/111546. Log in to your account and upload a cover letter and resume, as well as the names and contact information of three professional references. Resume dates must be in month/year format and employment history, at a minimum, should include all work dating back to the completion of your undergraduate degree. Positions that were less than full-time/100% must be noted as being part-time. Transcripts may be requested at a later date. To receive full consideration, all requested application materials must be submitted via the online system by the close date of July 17, 2019.
For further information about the position please contact Search Chair, James Hazzard at firstname.lastname@example.org. For technical assistance with the application process, please email email@example.com.