Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
College of Agricultural Consumer and Environmental Sciences (ACES)
University of Illinois Extension
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
WE TRANSFORM LIVES.
Everything we do is designed to improve the quality of life of the people in the state of Illinois, across the nation, and around the world. We discover, develop, translate, and disseminate knowledge to address societal concerns and train the next generation of experts and leaders in a way that empowers them to expand the boundaries of science to higher levels of understanding and influence.
Be a part of our story. Through learning partnerships that extend knowledge and change lives, University of Illinois Extension provides educational programs aimed at making life better, healthier, safer, and more profitable for individuals and their communities. Illinois Extension has operated continuously for more than 100 years connecting the citizens of Illinois to their land-grant university by providing educational programming around the state. University of Illinois Extension is based in the College of ACES and works with all colleges and units of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
The Web Designer serves as a regular, full time, 12-month position with primary responsibility for designing, developing and supporting websites and web applications to enable Extension’s outreach mission and internal functions. This includes website development and content management systems, front-end design and theming, internal business applications, workflow processes and university systems integration.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Design, develop, deploy, and support new and enhance existing templates for websites and internal business applications to meet Extensions program and operational needs.
· Maintain, evaluate, and support U of I Extension websites and applications.
· Ensure sites function well and meet accessibility standards on all modern devices using responsive design
· Serve as Tier 2 support for web applications to resolve customer issues to satisfaction.
· Collaborate with desktop support team members to provide excellent customer service.
· Collaborate and provide feedback on website design matters with team members and project committees.
· Produce documentation for web design projects including requirements and design documents, build documentation, user documentation and other reports as needed.
· Work with Extension graphic designers to develop standards-based user interface and user experience functionality in web and mobile applications.
· Engage productively in web team agile development process, effectively estimating time-to-completion for project tasks and working efficiently to produce tangible deliverables.
· Comply with Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity policies and guidelines in all aspects of University work and responsibilities. Assist unit staff with data collection for Affirmative Action, Gender, and Targeted reports if needed.
· Assume additional related responsibilities to enhance the mission of the unit.
· Any combination totaling two (2) years from the following categories: progressively more responsible work experience in an Information
Technology (IT) related profession college course work which included Information Technology (IT), IT Management, or a closely related discipline, as measured by the following conversion table or its proportional equivalent:60 semester hours or Associate's Degree equals one (1) year90-120 semester hours or Bachelor's Degree equals two (2) years.
· Experience with web application development.
· Experience providing end-user support.
· Demonstrated experience using CSS frameworks, such as Bootstrap, Tailwind, Bulma or similar systems.
· Bachelor’s degree
· Experience designing templates for Drupal or similar CMS, writing CSS preprocessors such as Less or SASS, and a good understanding of responsive design and accessibility standards.
· Ability to take a design layout and create HTML markup and CSS to industry standards.
· Experience working with Git version control.
· Experience working with template engines, like Blade or Twig.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
To perform the functions of this position, the employee will be required to perform work both within an office and outside in the communities that are served, and must have the capability to travel from one location to the other in a timely fashion. A valid driver’s license is preferred. Employee is responsible for securing personal transportation. Some work will be required during evenings and/or weekends. When working, the employee may be exposed to a variety of environmental factors to include, but not limited to, hot or cold weather, exposure to noise and allergens, and uneven ground. In performing the functions of this position, the employee may be subjected to various mental and physical demands as well to include, but not limited to, independently traveling to and performing work at different locations, lifting and moving items that may occasionally weigh up to forty (40) pounds and frequently weigh up to twenty (20) pounds, and twisting, pushing and pulling movements.
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION:
This position is a full-time, benefits-eligible, Civil Service Information Technology Technical Associate position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience. One position available for hire.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINE INFORMATION:
Applications must be received by September 24, 2021. Apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button here: https://go.illinois.edu/150671. If you already have a profile, you will be redirected to that existing profile via email notification. Please be sure to address how you meet each requirement of the position in your cover letter and/or resume. To complete the application process:
Step 1) Submit the Staff Vacancy Application.
Step 2) Submit the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms.
Step 3) Upload your cover letter, resume (months and years of employment must be included), and academic credentials (unofficial transcripts or diploma may be acceptable) and names/contact information for three references.
In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, contact Ashley Grilo (firstname.lastname@example.org). For questions about the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
This is a security-sensitive position. Comprehensive background checks, including but not limited to a criminal conviction information check, a CANTS check, and a review of the Registered Sex Offender list, will be conducted.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Convictions are not a bar to employment. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment. The University of Illinois must also comply with applicable federal export control laws and regulations and, as such, reserves the right to employ restricted party screening procedures for applicants. As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility.