The Board of Directors provides oversight and direction for APLU’s work and is charged with setting membership and governing policies for the association. Board members work to make public institutions of higher education more effective in driving equitable student success, fostering research and innovation to meet societal needs, and building prosperous, equitable, and vibrant communities locally and globally.
“We thank Waded Cruzado for her outstanding service as chair of the Board and her strong commitment to public higher education,” said APLU President Peter McPherson. “We’re thrilled Becky Blank has been selected as the next chair of the APLU Board of Directors. She is an extraordinary public university leader with a deep commitment to advancing the work of public universities to promote the public good. The Board of Directors plays an instrumental role in shaping APLU’s work to advance the education, research, and engagement missions of public higher education. We’re excited to have Becky Blank’s leadership as Chair.”
“After nine years as chancellor of a public institution, I’m deeply honored to have the opportunity to lead this organization,” Blank said. “During my time at Wisconsin, I’m proud of our work on access and affordability, applying our research to benefit the public and serving students and improving their outcomes, which mirror APLU’s goals. I look forward to collaborating with the board and all APLU members.”
Chancellor Blank will serve as Chair of the APLU Board of Directors until the end of May 2022, when she will depart the University of Wisconsin-Madison to assume the presidency of Northwestern University later in 2022. University of California, Davis Chancellor Gary May, currently the Chair-Elect of the Board, will assume the role of Chair of the Board upon Chancellor Blank’s retirement.
Below is the roster for the 2022 APLU Board of Directors:
- Rebecca Blank, Chancellor, University of Wisconsin-Madison, is Chair of the Board.
- Gary May, Chancellor, University of California, Davis, is Chair-Elect of the Board.
- Waded Cruzado, President, Montana State University, is Past-Chair of the Board.
- Kent Fuchs, President, University of Florida, is Chair of the Council of Presidents.
- Makola Abdullah, President, Virginia State University, is Secretary of the Council of Presidents.
- Mun Choi, President, University of Missouri System, is a Board Member-at-Large.
- Joan Ferrini-Mundy, President, University of Maine, is a Board Member-at-Large.
- Michelle Marks, Chancellor, University of Colorado Denver, is a Board Member-at-Large.
- Martin Meehan, President, University of Massachusetts System, is a Board Member-at-Large.
- Robert Nelsen, President, California State University, Sacramento, is a Board Member-at-Large.
- Santa Ono, President and Vice-Chancellor, University of British Columbia, is a Board Member-at-Large.
- Brian Sandoval, President, University of Nevada, Reno, is a Board Member-at-Large.
- Paul Jones, President, Fort Valley State University, is the Council of 1890s Universities Representative.
- Jonathan Wickert, Senior Vice President and Provost, Iowa State University, is the Council of Academic Affairs Representative.
- Glynda Becker-Fenter, Vice President for Federal Engagement & Advocacy and Executive Director of WSU DC, Washington State University, is the Council on Governmental Affairs Representative.
- Cinnamon Blair, Chief Marketing and Communications Officer, University of New Mexico, is the Council on Strategic Communications Representative.
- Denise Maybank, Vice President and Associate Provost, Michigan State University, is the Council on Student Affairs Representative.
- Roger Wakimoto, Vice Chancellor for Research, University of California, Los Angeles, is the Council on Research Representative.
- Havidán Rodríguez, President, University at Albany, is the Commission on Access, Diversity, and Excellence Representative.
- Noelle Cockett, President, Utah State University, is the Commission on Food, Environment, and Renewable Resources Representative.
- Joan Gabel, President, University of Minnesota, is a Commission on Economic and Community Engagement Representative.
- Sharon Paynter, Assistant Vice Chancellor for Community Engagement, East Carolina University, is a Commission on Economic and Community Engagement Representative.
- Taylor Eighmy, President, University of Texas at San Antonio, is the Commission on International Initiatives Representative.
- Mary Papazian, President, San Jose State University, is the Coalition of Urban Serving Universities Representative.
- Lisa Freeman, President, Northern Illinois University, is a Commission on Information, Measurement, and Analysis Representative.
- Jonathan Pruitt, Chief Operating Office, University of North Carolina System, is the Audit Committee Chair.
- Tom Coon, Vice President, Dean and Director of the Oklahoma State University Division of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources, is the Board on Agriculture Policy Board Representative.
- The Council of Presidents’ and Chancellors’ Spouses Representative will be announced soon.