“We are excited to welcome the next cohort of COR Research Leader Fellows,” said Roger Wakimoto, UCLA Vice Chancellor for Research, who serves as Chair of COR. “It is critical that we expose our future leaders of public universities to the wide breadth of research administration activities and allow them to ask thought-provoking questions so that they prepared to move up ladder. The success of the program speaks for itself as numerous former fellows have been promoted to senior research positions. It is a wonderful example of how COR proactively serves our community.”
The COR Research Leader Fellowship helps rising research leaders develop expertise in areas outside of their current research-related responsibilities. Because many universities have segmented research support organizations, rising research leaders often oversee relatively confined areas such as research administration, research development, research compliance, research communication, economic development, or sponsored programs. The fellowship allows these research leaders to gain expertise outside of their respective portfolios and fosters connections with COR’s extensive network of senior research officers through site visits and participation in COR meetings. The fellowship lasts 12 months.
“We’re thrilled to welcome our new cohort of fellows,” said APLU Senior Vice President for STEM Education and Research Policy and Advisor to the President Howard Gobstein, who leads the association’s research policy and STEM education efforts. “The COR fellowships are key to cultivating the next generation of public research university leaders and building institutional capacity. We’re looking forward to working with this year’s fellows to bring their research to the next level.”
The 2022 COR Research Leader Fellows are:
- Steven Broglio, Associate Dean of Graduate Affairs, School of Kinesiology, University of Michigan.
- Kumer Das, Assistant Vice President for Research, Innovation, and Economic Development, University of Louisiana at Lafayette.
- M. Cynthia (Cindi) Logsdon, Director of Research Academic Programs, University of Louisville.
- Christine Mallinson, Director of the Center for Social Science Scholarship, University of Maryland, Baltimore County.
- Brillian (Besi) Muhanja, Associate Vice Provost for Scholarship and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, James Madison University.
- Rick Page, Assistant Vice President for Research and Innovation, Miami University of Ohio.
- Matt Smith, Sr. Director of Operations (RED), Boise State University.
- Danielle Swick, Associate Professor, Associate Chair in Social Work, University of North Carolina at Greensboro.
Please contact APLU Senior Vice President Howard Gobstein with any questions about the fellowship.