Next week, APLU will be celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the Federal Pell Grant Program. Throughout the week of June 21, APLU has worked closely with partners across the higher education association and advocacy spaces to organize a full slate of events and activities online and in DC to commemorate the occasion, including a social media day, an advocacy day, and then the anniversary itself. See below for a more detailed description of each day’s activities:
Tuesday, June 21 - Social Media Day
• Please join us in posting op-eds, sharing Pell stories, and highlighting the Pell Anniversary on social media using the hashtag #PellTurns50.
• APLU’s Council on Strategic Communications (CSC) also shared a toolkit with CSC members that includes sample social media posts and graphics to help member institutions engage online.
Wednesday, June 22 - Pell Advocacy Day
• Pell Hill Briefing (9 am ET) - Hosted by TICAS and featuring remarks from Senator Jack Reed (D-RI) and Dr. Michelle Cooper from the U.S. Department of Education, the briefing will be both in-person and livestreamed. RSVP in-person here or virtually here.
• Pell Action (10:30 am ET) - Hosted by TICAS and Gen Progress, students, advocates, and student supporters will be organizing on the Capitol Steps after the Pell briefing for a photo-op.
• Office visits (All Day) - Students, advocates, and institutions will be meeting with offices to highlight the importance of the Pell program and advocate for funding increases. Please consider meeting with your delegation in person or virtually.
Thursday, June 23 - Pell Anniversary
• Member floor speeches in support of the Pell Grant program.
• DC Pell Reception (5pm ET) - Hosted by APLU and partner organizations, we will hold a reception celebrating the Pell anniversary with Hill champions, Administration officials, program advocates, and other higher education leaders.