Washington, DC – The Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU) today announced its 2018 Board of Directors. At a ceremony during the association’s 130th Annual Meeting, University System of Maryland Chancellor Bob Caret became Chair of the Board, taking over for University of Virginia President Teresa Sullivan. The Board of Directors provides oversight and direction for APLU’s work and is charged with setting membership and governing policies for the association. Board members work to make public institutions of higher education more effective in delivering high quality and affordable higher education alongside cutting-edge research and robust community and economic engagement.
“Bob Caret has an exceptional record of leading public universities to greater academic excellence, research impact, and community engagement,” said APLU President Peter McPherson. “We’re very pleased he has been chosen as the next chair of the APLU Board of Directors and we look forward drawing on his expertise and leadership over the coming year. Our Board of Directors plays a central role in shaping APLU’s agenda and the public higher education landscape more broadly. We look forward to the extensive experience and considerable expertise they will bring to their roles”
Below is the roster for the 2018 APLU Board of Directors:
- Bob Caret, Chancellor, University System of Maryland, is Chair of the Board.
- Michael Drake, President, The Ohio State University, is Chair-Elect of the Board.
- Teresa Sullivan, President, University of Virginia, is Past-Chair of the Board.
- Robert Jones, Chancellor, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, is Chair of the Council of Presidents.
- Rita Cheng, President, Northern Arizona University, is a Board Member-at-Large.
- Judy Genshaft, President, University of South Florida, is a Board Member-at-Large.
- Susan Herbst, President, University of Connecticut, is a Board Member-at-Large.
- Harold Martin, Chancellor, North Carolina A&T State University, is a Board Member-at-Large.
- Kirk Schulz, President, Washington State University, is a Board Member-at-Large.
- Joseph Steinmetz, Chancellor, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, is a Board Member-at-Large.
- Satish Tripathi, President, University at Buffalo, SUNY, is a Board Member-at-Large.
- Kent Smith, Jr., President, Langston University, is the Council of 1890s Universities Representative.
- April Mason, Provost and Senior Vice President, Kansas State University, is the Council on Academic Affairs Representative.
- David W. Harris, Executive Vice President, Chief Operating Officer and Chief Financial Officer, University of New Mexico, is the Council on Business Affairs Representative.
- Andrew Furco, Associate Vice President for Public Engagement, University of Minnesota, is the Council on Engagement and Outreach Representative.
- Sophia Magill, Director of Federal Relations, Iowa State University, is the Council on Governmental Affairs Representative.
- Jack Martin, Senior Director of Strategic Communications, University of Washington, is the Council on Strategic Communications Representative.
- Javaune Adams-Gaston, Vice President for Student Life, The Ohio State University, is the Council on Student Affairs Representative.
- Sethuraman (Panch) Panchanathan, Executive Vice President, ASU Knowledge Enterprise, Arizona State University, is the Council on Research Representative.
- Mark Rosenberg, President, Florida International University, is the Commission on Access, Diversity, and Excellence Representative.
- Ronald Green, Chancellor, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, is the Commission on Food, Environment, and Renewable Resources Representative.
- Eric Barron, President, Pennsylvania State University, is the Commission on Innovation, Competitiveness & Economic Prosperity Representative.
- Angel Cabrera, President, George Mason University, is the Commission on International Initiatives Representative.
- Edward Ray, President, Oregon State University, is the Commission on Science Mathematics and Teaching Imperative Representative.
- Mark Becker, President, Georgia State University, is the Coalition of Urban Serving Universities Representative.
- M. Roy Wilson, President, Wayne State University, is the Commission on Information, Measurement, and Analysis Representative.
- Mark Hussey, Vice Chancellor and Dean for Agriculture and Life Sciences, Texas A&M University, is the Board on Agriculture Policy Board Representative.