New Orleans, LA – The Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU) today announced its 2019 Board of Directors. At a ceremony during the association’s 131st Annual Meeting, Ohio State University President Michael Drake became Chair of the Board, taking over for University System of Maryland Chancellor Robert Caret.
The Board of Directors provides oversight and direction for APLU’s work and is charged with setting membership and governing policies for the association. Board members work to make public institutions of higher education more effective in delivering quality and affordable higher education while advancing cutting-edge research and robust community and economic engagement.
“Michael Drake is an extraordinary leader with an absolute commitment to students, pathbreaking research, and community engagement impact,” said APLU President Peter McPherson. “We’re delighted he’s been selected as the next chair of the APLU Board of Directors. The entire Board plays a key role shaping APLU’s work and public higher education at large and we look forward to the deep well of experience and expertise they will bring to their roles.”
Below is the roster for the 2019 APLU Board of Directors:
- Michael Drake, President, The Ohio State University, is Chair of the Board.
- Robert Jones, Chancellor, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, is Chair-Elect of the Board
- Robert Caret, Chancellor, University System of Maryland, is Past-Chair of the Board.
- Waded Cruzado, President, Montana State University, is Chair of the Council of Presidents.
- Steven Leath, President, Auburn University, is Secretary of the Council of Presidents.
- Rita Cheng, President, Northern Arizona University, is a Board Member-at-Large.
- Judy Genshaft, President, University of South Florida, is a Board Member-at-Large.
- Harold Martin, Chancellor, North Carolina A&T State University, is a Board Member-at-Large.
- Kirk Schulz, President, Washington State University, is a Board Member-at-Large.
- Joseph Steinmetz, Chancellor, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, is a Board Member-at-Large.
- Samuel Stanley, President Stony Brook University, SUNY, is a Board Member-at-Large.
- Vistasp Karbhari, President, University of Texas at Arlington, is a Board Member-at-Large.
- Kent Smith, Jr., President, Langston University, is the Council of 1890s Universities Representative.
- Joseph Glover, Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, University of Florida, is the Council on Academic Affairs Representative.
- John Latini, Director of Federal Relations. Pennsylvania State University, is the Council on Governmental Affairs Representative.
- Teri Lucie Thompson, Director of Strategic Initiatives, University of Texas at Austin is the Council on Strategic Communications Representative.
- Javaune Adams-Gaston, Vice President for Student Life, The Ohio State University, is the Council on Student Affairs Representative.
- Sandra Brown, Vice Chancellor for Research and Distinguished Professor, University of California, San Diego, is the Council on Research Representative.
- Mark Rosenberg, President, Florida International University, is the Commission on Access, Diversity, and Excellence Representative.
- Noelle Cockett, President, Utah State University, is the Commission on Food, Environment, and Renewable Resources Representative.
- Eric Barron, President, Pennsylvania State University, is the Commission on Economic and Community Engagement Representative.
- Chad Wootton, Associate Vice President for External Affairs, Texas A&M, is the Commission on Economic and Community Engagement Representative.
- Waded Cruzado, President, Montana State University, is the Commission on International Initiatives Representative.
- Harris Pastides, President, University of South Carolina, is the Commission on Science Mathematics and Teaching Imperative Representative.
- Mark Becker, President, Georgia State University, is the Coalition of Urban Serving Universities Representative.
- Tim Sands, President, Virginia Tech University, is the Commission on Information, Measurement, and Analysis Representative.
- Orlando McMeans, Vice President for Research and Public Service, West Virginia State University, is the Board on Agriculture Policy Board Representative.