The purpose of the Non-land-grant Agriculture and Renewable Resources Universities shall be:
To create an organization of publicly supported colleges and universities offering baccalaureate degree programs in agriculture, renewable natural resources, and related disciplines.
To provide a vehicle for sharing ideas and exploring avenues that might be taken to solve common problems and explore common opportunities which will lead to strengthening the instructional, research, and service programs of agriculture, renewable natural resources, and related programs and foster their association, recognition, and support by the public.
Membership is open to public colleges and universities. The chief program administrator as designated by the institution will serve as the member institution’s representative to this organization.
It shall be the duty of each member of the association to attend the meetings, serve on any special committees to which appointed, and to take an active part in all association activities.
Membership is by application and approval by the Board of Directors and is sustained by payment of an annual membership fee.
Section A. Election of Officers
1. The offices to be elected include: president, president-elect, secretary, and treasurer.
2. The election shall be held at the annual meeting of the association.
3. Any member of the association shall be eligible to hold office.
4. Nominations for officers will be presented by a nominating committee appointed by the president.
5. Nominations may be offered from the floor during the election meeting.
6. The term of the office shall be for one year with any officer eligible for re-election.
Section B. Duties of Officers
- Shall preside over the meetings and direct matters pertaining to the business of the association.
- Shall be responsible for liaison with other professional organizations.
- Shall appoint, with the approval of the Board of Directors, a member to fill a vacant office until the next annual meeting.
- Shall ordinarily succeed to the presidency and assume the position of the president in the event of temporary or permanent absence of the president.
- Shall be responsible for the preparation of the agenda and organization of the annual meeting and serve as program chairman of the annual meeting.
- Shall record and distribute the minutes of the meetings, send out meeting notices, and be responsible for all records of the association.
- Shall be responsible for publishing the association’s newsletter.
- Shall be responsible for all financial transactions of the association as authorized by the Board of Directors.
- Shall keep the membership informed of the financial status including an annual report.
5. The officers shall serve as an executive committee to transact business of the association between meetings of the board.
There shall be three permanent committees. The committee chairs will be members of the Board of Directors.
Section A. Legislative Affairs
1. Shall be responsible for formulating policy recommendations to the Board
2. Shall be responsible for representation at appropriate budget and legislative
3. Shall be responsible for preparation of written statements to be presented on
behalf of the membership.
Section B. Membership Affairs
1. Shall be responsible for membership promotion and related items as
assigned by the Board of Directors.
Section C. Special Projects
1. Shall be responsible for the special projects of the organization as
developed or assigned by the Board of Directors.
2. Shall explore possibilities of federal and non-federal financing for
institutional or organizational projects and the dissemination of this
information to all members.
Section A. Membership
1. Shall be composed of the following:
- elected officers,
- past president,
- three permanent committee chairs,
- four directors elected at-large from the membership,
- representative of the Academic Program Committee on Organization and Policy (ACOP), Academic Programs Section (APS) of Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities (APLU),
- NARRU representative to the Policy Board of Directors of the Board of Agriculture Assembly (BAA),
- NARRU representative to the Policy Board of Directors of BAA’s Budget and Advocacy Committee,
- NARRU representative to the Policy Board of Directors of BAA’s Farm Bill Committee,
- NARRU representative to the Policy Board of Directors of BAA’s Experiment Station Committee on Organization and Policy (ESCOP), and
- NARRU representative to the ACOP, APS of APLU.
Section B. Responsibility
- Shall establish policies and procedures, including an annual budget to carry out effectively the purposes of the association and the location and agenda for each meeting of the association.
- Shall meet and confer as necessary to carry out effectively the affairs of the association.
Section A. Number of Meetings
- There shall be a minimum of one meeting each year.
- The Board of Directors shall meet prior to the annual meeting and approve the budget, location, and agenda of the association meeting and transact any other business of the association.
- Special meetings of the association may be called by a positive vote of 75% of the Board of Directors or by a petition bearing the signatures of 25% of the membership.
- The meetings shall be conducted under Robert’s Rules of Order.
Section B. Voting
1. All members shall have the privilege to vote.
Section C. Quorum
1. A quorum shall consist of a majority of the voting members present at an official meeting of the association and shall have the authority to transact business.
Section A. Finances
1. The annual membership fee shall be set by the membership at the annual meeting and the finances of the association shall be administered by the Board of Directors.
Amendments to these bylaws shall be made in writing to the members at least sixty days prior to the annual meeting and at the annual meeting the bylaws will be changed by a two-thirds vote of those members in attendance.
Last Amended in 2012