This toolkit is designed to help institutions of higher education (IHEs) and NIST MEPs Centers (MEPs) build strong partnerships for the benefit of small and medium-sized manufacturers (SMMs). We suggest that potential partners read through the toolkit and use the tools as you consider building a partnership. Take the time to use the tools as a guide to conversations about the following:
- The potential benefits of collaboration.
- The principles that should guide the partnership.
- A vision for the ideal future state of the partnership and a roadmap for getting there.
- Roles and responsibilities within the partnership.
- Methods and processes for identifying and attracting interest from SMMs that might benefit from the partnership.
- Forging a three-way agreement between a university, MEP and SMM.
- Identifying the talent development required to implement Industry 4.0 technology.
- Identifying other opportunities for advancing the partnership’s shared goals.
Each section below features topic overviews and downloadable tools to utilize. For more in-depth explanations and reference materials on each section, download the accompanying Toolkit Guide.