“Research Action Clusters” (RACs) were formed in 2013 to address specific mathematics education and teacher preparation challenges using the Networked Improved Community (NIC) design developed and fostered by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, one of our partners. The NIC design builds on precepts of improvement science–to rapidly prototype, test, and refine strategies for improvement–along with the precepts of networked design–in which multiple teams of a RAC are working in concert on potential interventions–allowing the partnership to create timely solutions that are responsive to differing conditions under which
they might be used.
Our 5 RACs
We are presently managing five RACs. Each includes the involvement of mathematicians, mathematics educators, and K-12 personnel and has demonstrated institutional commitment.
- Developing Effective Clinical Experiences: Working to develop infrastructures and models that best meet the needs of teacher candidates.
- MODULE(S2): Math of Doing, Understanding, Learning, and Educating for Secondary Schools: Developing mathematical knowledge and habits of mind for teaching prospective secondary mathematics teachers.
- Active Learning Mathematics: Reforming freshman/sophomore level mathematics courses.
- Program Recruitment and Retention: Developing approaches to actively recruit high-quality and diverse teacher candidates and monitor and provide support to ensure program completion.
- STRIDES: Secondary Teacher Retention & Induction in Diverse Educational Settings: Developing strategies to support new teachers as they begin their careers as secondary mathematics teachers.
Two working groups are exploring areas of emerging interest for the MTE-Partnership:
- Equity and Social Justice Working Group: Establishing a foundation for better incorporating equity work into the MTE-Partnership.
- Transformations Working Group: Establishing a foundation for the MTE-Partnership’s strategic focus on overall transformation of secondary mathematics teacher preparation programs